About this Head of Engineering opportunity...
We are looking for a high character, motivated, and customer-focused Head of Engineering who will take leadership over all technical aspects of our client company's activity. Ideally located in San Antonio or Austin areas, this person may have experienced a prior successful exit or a failure that produced humility, lessons learned, and hunger for another at-bat. A background in Insurtech / Property & Casualty (Auto, Home, Renters) Insurance, team management & development, marketplace, and board/senior stakeholder management will all be beneficial. You should possess strategic thinking and strong business acumen, being well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with a variety of business concepts. We also expect you to be an excellent communicator and public speaker.
- Partner with the Head of Product/UX on product vision, strategy, and roadmap.
- Build an in-house engineering team and transition primary responsibility for development in-house (while continuing to work with existing product software development partners)
- Own and oversee technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals. (Our stack is React/React Native + Node.js on AWS DynamoDB.)
- Lead (and contribute to, where needed) the execution of the roadmap, balancing the needs of today and tomorrow.
- Someone who is on top of the latest developments in technology, and can apply that knowledge in collaboration with the Head of Product to inform and action on the product vision.
- An effective leader and team-player who knows how to hire and manage the right talent to scale the Engineering team.
- Committed to self development, dedicating time to learning from best practitioners and thought leaders, spending time building a network of other great technical leaders, and constantly reflecting on your personal progress and goals
- Data-driven to evaluate product-market fit and other aspects of product performance, able to identify insights that will influence future decisions
- Someone who knows how to get things done, who can balance the needs of today and tomorrow on a case-by-case basis.
- Prior CTO / Head of Engineering / technical visionary experience at a B2C startup, preferably with a track record of one or more successful exits.
- Architected web-scale applications, including Technical and Solutions Architecture experience
- Significant experience in budgets and business planning
- Deep knowledge of full-stack modern development practices (ex: DevOps, APIs)
- Experience building native and mobile web applications
- Built marketplaces or e-commerce platforms
- Worked with large complex data sets, data scientists, and/or setting up and managing data pipelines.
- Experience building consumer-facing secure and compliant applications (data privacy/PII, payments/PCI, SOX)
- Senior stakeholder management experience, able to work at board level
- Excellent communication skills
- BSc or BA degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other related area; MBA or other relevant graduate degree will be a bonus